4 1/2 cups Unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Butter (room temperature)
3 Hard cooked egg yolks
3/4 cup Sugar
3 Raw egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
Optional: Colored sugar or chocolate chips
Flour to roll dough
Cookie sheet (lightly greased)
Spatula to remove cookies from sheets
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Measure flour into a large bowl.
3. Cut butter into small pieces and add to the flour. Mix with your fingers or pastry blender until the flour and butter form fine crumbs.
4. Mash cooked egg yolks with sugar and stir into the flour mixture.
5. Blend raw egg yolks with vanilla and stir into the flour mixture with a fork.
6. Press the mixture with your hands into a firm ball. Work with the dough at room temperature, but refrigerate it if you will bake it later.
7. Roll out the dough. Cut 3-inch or 4-inch strips and roll with your palm to make ropes.
8. Shape the ropes into letters. Flatten them slightly so they are about 1/4-inch thick. If you like, decorate the letters with colored sugar or chocolate chips.
9. Place the letters on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Yield: Depends on what letters you make
I am available to teach cooking or food related subjects in your home or give presentations or classes for your organizations or groups. Contact me at the following e-mail address:
Cooking classes currently scheduled can be viewed by clicking on the “Calendar” icon.
Interactive questions, comments, suggestions, etc. can also be posted on this website.